President Ram Nath Kovind on Friday addressed the nation on the eve of the 74th Independence Day. Here are the highlights of his speech:
- This year’s Independence Day celebrations will be restrained as a deadly virus has disrupted all activities, taken huge toll.
- It was a superhuman effort on part of the government to respond effectively in meeting the challenges due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- With these efforts, we gained control over the global epidemic and have succeeded in saving a large number of people’s lives, setting an example for the whole world.
- The nation is indebted to all the doctors, nurses and other health workers who have been frontline warriors in this fight against the coronavirus.
- All these warriors rose above the limits of their duty, saved lives and ensured availability of essential services.
- The poor and the daily livelihood earners have been the hardest hit by this pandemic.
- Free food grains are being given to the needy people to ensure no family has to starve.
- Entire nation pays tribute to those who died for the country in Ladakh.
- India’s self-reliance means being self-sufficient without alienating or creating distance from the world.
- India will continue to engage with the world economy while maintaining its identity.