One of the comments was made by Ms Bhaskar – in February – in response to the Supreme Court verdict on the Babri Masjid issue in November last year
The Attorney General of India has dismissed a plea to initiate criminal contempt proceedings against actor Swara Bhaskar for two comments, one of which was on the top court’s verdict on the Babri Masjid case, described by the petitioner as an “attack on the institution”.
On Sunday evening Attorney General KK Venugopal said the statement was the “perception of the speaker” on the judgment of the Supreme Court and “does not offer any comment on the Supreme Court itself or say anything that would scandalise or tend to scandalise… the authority of the Supreme Court”.
“In my opinion, this statement does not constitute criminal contempt,” the Attorney General said.
One of the comments in question made by Ms Bhaskar – in February – were in response to the Supreme Court verdict on the Babri Masjid issue in November last year, and were made at an event in Mumbai.