India COVID-19 Updates: There are 9,19,018 active cases in the country which comprise 20.58 per cent of the total caseload, government data showed.
India registered a record 95,735 coronavirus cases in 24 hours taking the total number of infections to over 44.65 lakh, government data showed today. The country also recorded the highest deaths in a day with 1,172 fatalities. The last recorded highest spike was on Tuesday when India registered 90,802 cases.
The highest deaths were recorded a day later with 1,133 fatalities. There have been 72,939 recoveries in the last 24 hours – total recoveries stand at 34,71,783. There are over 9.19 lakh active cases in India, which is the second most affected nation due to the deadly virus in the world.
- Maharashtra, the most affected state in the country recorded 23,577 cases in 24 hours – the highest in the country. The state also registered the highest number of deaths with 380 fatalities.
- Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Uttar Pradesh and Tamil Nadu followed Maharashtra. Total cases in 24 hours in these states are: Andhra Pradesh- 10,418, Karnataka- 9,540, UP- 6,568 and Tamil Nadu- 5,584.
- The recovery rate in the country is 77.7 per cent and death rate further dropped to 1.6 per cent. The Union Health Ministry last week had directed the three worst-affected states – Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka to keep their mortality rates below one per cent.
- The total number of samples tested up till today is 5,29,34,433. Over 11.29 lakh samples were tested in the last 24 hours, government data showed. The highest number of tests was conducted on September 3 with 11.72 lakh tests.
- The daily positivity rate in the country is 8.4 per cent – a rise from Wednesday’s 7.7 per cent.
- Delhi on Wednesday saw a record surge with more than 4,000 cases of coronavirus – the highest since the outbreak reached the national capital.
- India has been reporting the highest number of daily coronavirus cases in the world for nearly a month, according to the World Health Organization data.
- India’s COVID-19 tally had crossed the 20 lakh mark on August 7, it went past 30 lakh on August 23 and 40 lakh on September 5.
- After the United States and India, Brazil, Russia and Peru have the highest number of cases. US has over 63.59 lakh cases, around 19 lakh more infections than India.
- The Serum Institute of India, which is manufacturing the Oxford University’s Covishield vaccine and will hold the phase 3 clinical trials in India from next week, has been issued a showcause notice by the country’s drug controller DGCI. Trials for the vaccine were stopped in four nations as a precautionary measure after one of the recipients in the UK showed some adverse symptoms, which are yet to be linked to the vaccine.